Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 1 in Dallas!

Hey everyone! Trip Leader Kelly here!  Today was our first full day in Dallas and it was incredible!  We had to wake up early (I'm proud to say everyone made it!) and then head to our service site, Bryan's House.  It was a full day of playing with kids, planning a puppet show for Friday, and catching up on some paperwork.  It's definitely been an interesting trip and the Dallas traffic has made for an exciting commute.  Several U-turns later, we have coined a new expression: "Half the fun is not getting there!"I am so proud of the amazing group of people we brought on this trip and I am so glad they made the decision to spend spring break with Bear Breaks!   Never a dull moment with Team Dallas!  Looking forward to whatever the rest of the week holds!

Here's a little bit about what everyone was up to today:


Elizabeth Sivill: Today, I spent most of the time working on transferring donation information to a different database. The workers at Bryan's house are so helpful, and you can tell they really have a passion for the organization. I hope to serve these children and the staff of Bryan's House more during the week in order to make a difference in the lives of the children. Proud to be representing the Bears!

Tess Hoehn: I started the day by making props for the play we are putting on for the kids on Friday. Then, I helped fold and mail brochures for Bryan's House. It is really good to be helping Bryan's House in any way I can. I am already so glad I decided to come on the trip, and so blessed Missouri State gave me this opportunity. I am excited to see what the following days have in store and can only imagine it will get better and better.

Justina Snodgrass: I started off the morning making different scene props for a play we are putting on at the end of the week for the children. That afternoon, I got to work in the nursery. The babies were adorable and loved getting the attention...it even included some crazy dancing. I am so excited to continue to being a part of Bryan's House and working with these wonderful children!

Mandy Squires: Today, I spend most of my time working on props for a puppet show to perform for the kids at Bryan's House on Friday. Then I helped to stuff pamphlets to send out to supporters of Bryan's House. I did not get to work with any of the kids today, but I am looking forward to getting to spend some time with them later this week.

Alex Johnson (Trip Advisor): What an incredible experience it has been thus far. We have already experienced some Dallas culture (including some highways and traffic that make Springfield seem tiny).  It is such a privilege to spend Spring Break 2013 with such dedicated Missouri State students and to work alongside Bryan's House, an organization that is doing so much good for the community.  Today, I was able to meet ecstatic 3-5 year olds who wanted to play all day...so much energy!  I also had a hand in the setup of our Lyle, Lyle Crocodile production -- we will rock it!

Brandon Greathouse: My first day at Bryan's House was so much fun! The kids were so energetic but it was a blast! I worked in a class room with inspirational kids aged 5-8.

Brett McKnight (Trip Advisor): Today I really got to experience what it was like to be a kid again. 
I forgot that a little construction paper, some scissors, glue, and crayons can go a long way!  In addition to working on the "set" of our puppet-show production, Lyle, Lyle Crocodile, I had the privildege of co-writing the script for the "production" as well as do some laundry for the kids rooms.  Serving can mean different things to different people, its all about the attitude you have when you begin.  I'm excited to see where the rest of the week takes us, and what all we can do for this awesome organization!

Spencer Trower: It has only been one day at Bryan's House and I have already learned a lot. It really makes you realize how blessed you are to be perfectly healthy. Today I started off by helping transfer information about donors and volunteers from one database to another. It was a service that is different but something that needs to be done. In the afternoon I got to play with some two year olds. They had so much energy and were a blast to be around. Overall, it was an extremely rewarding day! 

As you can see, this has been one hard working group and I couldn't be more excited to continue working with such a dedicated students!  Good night from Dallas!
--Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment